Over the weekend, I received this message from Beverley Kane, MD, who teaches in the Stanford School of Medicine (and who, along with Danny Sands, MD, developed the very very first guideline for e-mail interactions between patients and doctors). Great to see medical schools thinking of this, and I also hope they will consider teaching about how to interact with patients online, including how to write to patients (If any school teaches this now, please post in the comments), and how to share patients’ health data with them online as well.
I sent Beverley a link cloud with resources available from Kaiser Permanente which are available online.
If you have useful information for Beverley, feel free to post links in the comments, or send directly to her at bkane1[atSign]stanford.edu.
Dear Medical and Medical Informatics Colleagues,
Our Stanford Practice of Medicine (Intro to Clinical Practice) course is introducing a segment this spring to teach med students how to maintain rapport with patients while using the electronic health record.
Do any of you, your institutions, or EHR vendors have guidelines, white papers, or teaching materials for EHR etiquette?
Thanks in advance for anything you can send us. I will be happy to share our course materials when finalized.
Beverley Kane, MD Program Director, Medicine and Horsemanship
Stanford University School of Medicine Center for Education in Family and Community Medicine
See Emmy Award-winning Stanford “Medicine & Horses” video on NBC-TV
http://www.horsensei.com/nbcnews.html The Manual of Medicine and Horsemanship: Transforming the Doctor-Patient Relationship with Equine-Assisted Learning http://www.authorhouse.com:80/BookStore/ItemDetail.aspx?bookid=49669
- “Am I Being HEHRd” Video – teaching EHR Etiquette at Stanford University
- Medical Education 2.0 concept: – Google Docs
- Crowdsource request: Help our dialogue with leaders in academic medicine regarding social media
- Do Medical School Deans see social media in the future of medicine? I asked Dean Stephen Klasko of @usfhealth if he does.
- Slides, Script, References, Photos, from my #ONCmeeting Ignite Talk – Acceleration and Tipping points – Consumer E-Health