Lygeia Ricciardi (@Lygeia) wrote me to let me know that the word is out. She’s the new Senior Advisor for Consumer e-Health, in the Office of the National Coordinator for Health Information Technology. What does the Senior Advisor for Consumer e-Health do, you ask? Here’s what Lygeia told me – the Senior Advisor for Consumer e-Health is :
Responsible for developing and managing ONC’s national consumer e-health program. It involves working closely with other ONC team members and staff across ONC programs (eg Meaningful Use, Beacon Communities, Regional Extension Centers, State HIEs) to meet goals in the following areas:
- – Serve as ONC subject matter expert on consumer e-health
- – Serve as a liaison to FACAs
- – Forge alliances with consumer orgs, technology and care delivery innovators, and consumer advocates to further the consumer e-health agenda
- – Look for federal and state legislative levers to further consumer goals
- – Develop consumer oriented strategies across ONC programs, and generate new program ideas
- – Provide oversight of contracts
- – Represent consumer related e-health policy matters to a variety of audiences (within HHS, within Fed gov’t, for the general public)
That’s what the position is. I know what Lygeia is, and that is a creative, driven, great (dare I say awesome) representative of the best energy to improve the health of people where they live, work, and play, and the communities that support them and vice versa. I’m excited for her, for the Office of the National Coordinator, and the people of the United States.
I expect that more information will be coming from Lygeia and ONC, so this is more the update that I’ll be continuing to follow and support her work closely, you should, too :).