What could a patient possibly spot in a record that a doctor or nurse wouldn’t, the doctor asked.
Holliday told him about how Fred’s doctors had ordered a walker for him but it never arrived. Had she been reading the record, she could have asked about it. She told him about how Fred’s record indicated he needed a catheter and how he never received one. She would have noticed.
Okay, said the doctor. But this is easy for us to imagine, sitting here with our college degrees. What about less educated people?
I don’t have a college degree, Holliday fired back. And she changed his mind.
This week’s photograph was taken in DC, but not this week:
Great story today.
- Photo Friday: Why fight traffic, fight discrimination instead, The Rosa Parks Bus @thehenryford
- Photo Friday: National LGBT Health Awareness Week, Compassion
- Photo Friday: Picturing Total Health
- Photo Friday: Common sequence of pills for a diabetic
- Focus on the Patient Story: Presentation with Regina Holliday at Health 2.0 STAT DC